If you happened to miss it today, here’s the video of the Epsom Derby via Thoroughbred Times. The Queen’s Street Cry colt Carlton House went off the favorite but the winner was the Coolmore group’s French-trained Pour Moi, the second choice. Believe it or not, Pour Moi was the first Derby winner for maestro Andre Fabre. The same ownership’s Aidan O’Brien-trained Treasure Beach was a narrow second from Carlton House in a tightly bunched finish. Coolmore’s pacemaking Memphis Tennessee finished fourth of 13. Click here to see the chart from Racing Post.
* Of the 13 runners in the classic, 12 had Northern Dancer in their pedigrees. Only Carlton House didn’t, but his pedigree does contain Northern Dancer’s dam, Natalma, through his sire, Street Cry. The latter’s Mr. Prospector sire, Machiavellian, is from Natalma’s granddaughter Coup de Folie—who is inbred 3×3 to Natalma’s dam, Almahmoud.
* Eight of the 13 runners had Northern Dancer’s son Sadler’s Wells in their pedigrees. The Coolmore sires Galileo and Montjeu are the two best sons of Sadler’s Wells at stud.
* Galileo, the sire of 2011 English Guineas sensation Frankel and the Irish 2000 and French 1000 winners, is the sire of Epsom Derby winner New Approach (2008), who stands for Darley—breeder of Carlton House.
* In four of the last seven years, either Montjeu (3) or Galileo (1) has sired the Derby winner. And in six of the last 11 years, either Sadler’s Wells and his two premier sons have sired the Derby winner.
* The first two at Epsom, Pour Moi and Treasure Beach, are bred on the successful Sadler’s Wells/Darshaan cross. Pour Moi is out of a Darshaan mare, while Treasure Beach, by Galileo, is out of a Mark of Esteem (by Darshaan) mare. Additionally, the Derby fourth and pacemaker, Memphis Tennessee, is by the Montjeu horse Hurricane Run from a Cozzene mare whose dam is by Darshaan.
* Seven of the 13 runners in the Derby had Darshaan in their pedigrees.
* The colts with the most races prior to the Derby were Pisco Sour and Treasure Beach, with six apiece.
* Treasure Beach, Recital, and Native Khan had the most wins before the Derby, with three each.
* 10 of the 13 runners in the Derby had two wins or less.
* No Derby starter had more than two races in 2011 before the classic. Seven of 13 had just one start prior to the Derby.